The Cashier At Walgreens Is My Consultant

helloimcheryl
The “Consultant”
I was at Walgreens the other day and I noticed that the young woman who rang up my birthday card, shampoo and toothpaste was wearing a name tag that read:
Susan, Beauty Consultant. I also noticed that Susan had chipped electric blue fingernails, multiple rings on all of her fingers, mellow yellow teeth, too many piercings that were visible and my guess is that she also had too many more that weren’t as well. I looked at her tag again and thought, “Hmm, I wonder if I should consult with her on that nagging beauty question that I have.” Then I looked at her fingernails again when she held out her hand to take my money and told me the total amount of my purchase in between the click clicking of her chewing gum, and I thought, “Nah, I’ll seek a consultation elsewhere.”

The “Designer”

I was watching a commercial the other day for a local furniture store, and the staff, instead of being referred to as sales associates, were referred to as design consultants. My guess is that the likelyhood that any of these consultants attended design school is pretty slim. What type of design would that be, designing a methodology for getting me to buy a chair from them?

The “Guest”

I went into a store to return something and noticed that instead of a customer service desk, they had a “guest services” desk. Apparently I am no longer considered a customer in the store, I am now a guest. Does that mean they’ll serve me a nice homemade dinner with a glass of wine or put me up in a fully appointed room for the night? Really, I just wanted to return a t-shirt.

The Writer

Consultants, Designers, Guests. I’m getting confused, but have come to realize that there are designers and “designers,” there are consultants and “consultants,” and there are guests and “guests.” Just in case you all are wondering, I’m a writer not a “writer.”

Bookmark and Share

7 comments so far. Leave a comment.

1. Naomi

wrote on February 24, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Yes … anything in ” ____ ” seems to give off a less-than-confident attitude!!

2. Greg Satell

wrote on February 25, 2010 at 3:51 am

Cheryl,

Thanks for this. You are truly a wonderful blog stylist:-)

- Greg

3. Cheryl Andonian aka Momblebee

wrote on February 25, 2010 at 5:06 am

Naomi, Greg,
    Thanks for stopping by…
    Cheryl

4. John Cavanaugh

wrote on February 25, 2010 at 6:57 am

Hey, Cheryl.

Great, as always.

It has always been interesting to me what car dealerships call their salespeople, too. “Sales Consultant,” “Transportation Advisor,” even “Auto Expert.” These seem so dressed up. But when their title is “Car Salesman” we automatically tense up. Kind of unfair and asking too much at the same time, isn’t it?

Anyway, thanks for the musings.

-John

5. Cheryl Andonian aka Momblebee

wrote on February 25, 2010 at 7:33 am

Hi John,

Titles get thrown around like an old baseball and I think it confuses people. I think it all may have started back maybe 20 years ago when the trash collector started calling himself a sanitation engineer. Suddenly it’s not PC to call a clerk a clerk or a salesperson a salesperon. What actually IS a consultant now? Is it the cashier at Walgreens or is it the professional who can offer insight and years of experience to back it up? It cheapens the meaning of what talented trained professionals do. Thanks once again for stopping by and adding your thoughts.
    Cheryl

6. Dan McDevitt

wrote on March 9, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Hi Cheryl,

Nice observations,very nicely said. My wife and I enjoy seeing our consultant at the nearby Walgreens, and take all our purchases to her beauty department register. Although tattoo and piercing deprived, she seems happy.

I like your writing. Write on, please. Dan